This is the first time I have read a book from the series Best Sex Writing. This book is an in depth look at the news and stories in sex that shocked and awe’d us in 2011. It is full of personal stories of sex and in-depth looks at political news and scandals that rocked us in 2011. The compilations of stories collected by Rachel Kramer Bussel and Susie Bright shine a light on the state of sex in 2011, the good the bad and the ugly.
This book is a great read for those that deem themselves “sex nerds” as Rachel calls us. We want the goods on sex and not just the erotic stories. I enjoyed the spoon feeding of sex stories. This book is the best-of-the-best write up about sex and is a great book for anyone with who wants to put their finger on the pulse of Sex in America. Some of the stories were shocking, others made me sad. Everyone of them is a great conversation starter. I didn’t always agree with the viewpoints represented, but they were all excellent pieces. This is not an erotic read, unless of course you get off on how twisted and enlightening sex knowledge can be.
This book covers so many stories of sex in it’s 224 pages, I don’t even know where to start! From political scandals, to the Slutwalk, sex at age 66, to dating with an STI. This book includes eye opening statistics about the real average time before most men come from vaginal penetration, to why atheists have better sex. The authors may be familiar to you and they include some of the best writers on sex in the business. Everyone of these stories was interesting and thought provoking.
This book includes stories from:
- Radley Balko of Huffington Post
- Greta Christina blogger at AlterNet and Freeblogthoughts.com
- Tracy Clark-Flory of Salon.com
- Adrian Colesberry biomedical engineer and stand-up comic
- Amber Dawn writer, filmmaker and performance artist
- Camille Dodero of Village Voice
- Tim Elhajj author and editor at Junk: a literary fix
- Ellen Friedrichs health and sexual educator sexEdvice.com
- Roxane Gay writer and HTMLGIANT contributor
- Lynn Harris award-winning journalist, author and novelist breakupgirl.net
- Dr. Marty Klein author, licensed marriage and family therapist and certified sex therapist
- Amanda Marcotte writer for Salon, Slate, Bitch , The Nation and The American Prospect
- Joan Price author, joanprice.com
- Tracy Quan novelist, tracyquan.net
- Thomas Roche member of the training staff at San Francisco Sex Information
- Kevin Sampsell author and editor
- Hugo Schwyzer teacher and writer, hugoschwyzer.net
- Katherine Spillar founder of Feminist Majority Foundation, editor for msmagazine.com
- Chris Sweeney freelance jounalist for Playboy, Wired and Popular Mechanics
- Abby Tallmer freelance writer
- Rachel Rabbit White journalist, rachelrabbitwhite.com
- Lidia Yuknavitch author and novelist
I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in sex, sex news or just great writing. The stories collected here are some of the best of 2011. This book is published by Cleis Press.
I received this book from Cleis Press free of charge in exchange for an honest review. This review is in compliance with the FTC guidelines.