Published by Createspace Independent Pub on July 19th 2014
Genres: Dark Romance, Fiction, Romance, Suspense
Also by this author: Rampant
eARC provided by Between the Sheets Promotions
I've been obsessed with Rafe Mason since I was thirteen. The twisted part of this story is that I still want him, even now. Now that he's holding me captive on an island. Rafe has his reasons for doing what he's doing, and if I'm honest, I can't blame him. I'm the girl who sent him to prison for a heinous crime he didn't commit. But now he's free and the tables have turned...now he's the one driven by obsession. TORRENT is a new adult dark romance with disturbing themes and explicit content, including sexual scenes and violence that may offend some. Intended for mature audiences. Part one of the CONDEMNED series. This is not a stand-alone read. Approximately 43,000 words.
I was drawn into this book right away. The author doesn’t give boring details and back stories. She allows us to glimpse into the minds of her characters and leaves us wondering, how did we get here? Gemma James masterfully dishes out the details as the story goes, and by then it is too late for you, dear reader, you are hooked. I couldn’t put this book down. Torrent is a wild ride that doesn’t let up.
It all starts with Alex, the girl who sent her obsession to prison. She is trying to escape her horribly, sick, and possessive step-brother and her father’s arranged marriage for her to a guy she finds absolutely dull. Alex is living a nightmare that only gets worse once Rafe (her obsession) gets out of prison. After eight long years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit, all Rafe can think of is getting to Alex, getting his revenge. This story takes the reader inside the twisted minds of people who can’t let go.
Rafe is the villain you want to hate, but can’t. I couldn’t help but think that I would be the same way, wanting to at least enjoy what I was accused of. The sex in this book is sizzling hot! Poor Alex, she made a horrible mistake and has been living with the repercussions ever since. I felt bad for her, I wanted to hate her too but I felt really sorry for her circumstances. She is in the most twisted love triangle I have ever imagined. Oh Gemma, please sort this out for me. I can’t imagine where the next book will take these characters, but I can’t wait to find out!
10 Random Facts About Torrent
- I began writing Torrent last summer. Back then it was a barebones beginning about a young, reckless girl and her dead brother’s best friend who couldn’t fight his darkness any longer. The island has been in the story all along.
- I really have Skye Warren to thank for how Torrent turned out. Last year around Christmas time, she called for submissions for a short story anthology about criminals. Well, I had an idea…and that idea was too good to confine to a short story. I decided to combine my earlier efforts with the premise of a girl sending a man to prison for a crime he didn’t commit, and him coming back for what he felt he deserved.
- Once I had the island in mind (small, privately own, with a single cabin on it), I turned to Google to find out if I could find any real islands of a similar nature to use as a reference. There just happens to be one about three hours from where I live, situated on the Oregon side of the Columbia River. It even has a cabin on it. I’ve driven there twice and have seen it from the highway. I call it “my island.” The setting in the novel, though based on real places, is purely fictional, with the exception of the Columbia River and Portland, Oregon.
- I rewrote the beginning about three, maybe four times.
- Zach and Alex were originally full-blooded siblings. I gave into censoring myself out of fear of being banned from retailers, even though I had no intention at first of writing sexual scenes between the two. Once I changed their relation to step-siblings, the brief taboo scene in the beginning formed, and in my opinion, strengthened the setup of the novel. It also opened wicked avenues for book two. 😉
- I didn’t immediately know why Alex sent Rafe to prison. She was a stubborn character who kept me in the dark for a while!
- Torrent is the first book in which I wrote from the hero’s POV. It was interesting getting inside Rafe’s head.
- One of the twists about Rafe’s past (something he learns after he’s out of prison) basically wrote itself into the story part way through. Same with Jax, Rafe’s buddy. These characters and subplots just popped in of their own accord!
- If you’re looking for an easy read with hearts, flowers, and mainstream topics—this isn’t the book for you. This story will make you squirm, possibly make you sick at times, and push you into the darkest corners of your mind. But I’m a romantic at heart and believe in happy endings. Getting there is hell though.
- I do not feel guilty about the cliffhanger ending. Have you watched any TV season finales lately? AHHHHHHHH! I understand the frustration, and I’m evil enough to rub my hands together in glee. Don’t lynch me. I’m working on the second book. 😀
Coming Soon in late October 2014
Rampant (Condemned #2)
Gemma James (a pseudonym for Christina Jean Michaels) loves to explore the darker side of sex in her fiction. She’s morbidly curious about anything dark and edgy and enjoys exploring the deviant side of human nature. Her stories have been described as being “not for the faint of heart.”
She lives with her husband and their four children—three rambunctious UFC/wrestling-