Listen, I am not a technical expert. I know what I look for in a blog. Instead of making this post about technical tricks, I prefer to focus on getting your blog out there. Some of this everyone does, some of this you might wanna start doing…
- Get off blogspot and wordpress.com. (wordpress.org is great) I should stop right there, but there is so much more I need to tell you. (*more on this later)
- Decide if you want to use a real name, or a pseudonym.
- Make a name/brand for yourself. I wish someone would have told me this right off the bat.
- Make or buy a logo. I make my own on Gimp. This is great for me because I don’t have to ask someone to create something for me for a post. I make everything myself. Gimp is FREE and there are a shit ton of tutorials on youtube and other blogs that show you how to make everything awesome.
- Use your logo on social media (twitter, Facebook, …everywhere)
- Get a gravatar and use a picture everyone will recognize as yours.
- Comment on other blogs. Be sincere.
- Join in on things. Post an opinion. Join twitter and Facebook. Follow people you admire. Comment and like their content. You will get noticed.
- Blast your content onto social media. Hashtag events and subjects from your posts. Copy people (authors and other bloggers) in your announcements.
- Write something, even if it makes you uncomfortable. Write about yourself if you can. People love to hear details about your life. Add humor if you can.
- Be original. You can borrow ideas, but do not steal content.
- Post pictures that are legal, site the source and make sure it is Free to share. Don’t steal content. Better yet, take your own pictures.
- Branch out or stick to one thing, do your thing! Blog it, blog consistently. Don’t make promises you can’t keep to your readers. Consider your readers when you write, do something they expect from you. Be consistently you.
- Check out this post I wrote about reading blogs and what readers see. Please look at the comments too, they offer advice as well.
There is no recipe for making a blog successful. I know this, though, if you blog quality content, people will find their way to your site. It will only help you if you put yourself out there for them to find.
*If you blog on blogspot, you do not own your content. They can delete your site without a notice because you advertise too much, or promote something they don’t like, or even say fuck too much. Google (who owns blogspot aka blogger) is BIG. You, a tiny blogger, don’t really stand much of a chance of winning against them. WordPress.com has long been about original content. If you only blog stuff other people do, (i.e. blog tour, blitz releases, cover reveals, …etc.), you may find yourself deleted. They don’t have to give you a copy of your content. They can delete and there is nothing you can do about it. Invest in your site. For only $15 for a year, you can own the domain. For about $9.99 a month you can blog all the duplicate data, advertisements, or fucks you feel like.
If you have more tips, feel free to leave them in the comments. I would love to hear you newbie blogger advice!