Mother’s Day is around the corner. I know most people want to give their Mother the world, so I put this post together in the hopes that it helps you get Mom something she really wants.
Recently, I was asked about my favorite way to show love. The idea was for all the people in my household to put our favorites into a list according to how we like to receive love best. This is someone also know as the 5 love languages, so the idea isn’t new. I had never heard of this, but I learned so much in this exercise with my family. I thought I would share it with you all so you can keep this in mind when dealing with showing someone you love them.
Here are the 5 ways to show your love:
- Acts of Service– this is doing something extra for someone. examples include things like; doing extra chores without being asked, saving a seat for someone, offering your help when you see it is needed
- Quality Time– this one actual means undivided attention. Putting away the phone and listening and being fully present.
- Gifts– not just getting gifts, but thinking of someone and buying things that you know they really like
- Positive Affirmations– actions don’t always speak louder than words, saying the words people need to hear “i love you” “great job”, “you look great”
- Physical Affection– kissing, hand holding, hugs, pats on the back, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face
We show love how we like to receive it.
Knowing the different types is not enough. Not all people rank these in the same order. I thought I knew the best to show love. I am always telling my kids how much I love them and literally patting them on the back. I am not a good gift giver. My kids ranked gifts highest on their lists (go figure), and positive affirmations were only slight above physical touch which was dead last for both of the older kids. My idea of eight hugs a day didn’t feel like love to them, it felt like being smothered. I am a big hugger, but now I know hugs and kind words aren’t the only ways to show my kids I love them.
If you think about your loved ones, they show love how they like the receive it. Does Mom call a lot, send nice gifts, or smother you with hugs? That is probably her favorite way to receive love too.