This book is exactly what you need if you have ever had questions about kink. This book is such a nice introduction into kink, and it is also an instructional guide if you are not sure where to begin. If you are like me, the idea of BDSM is very alluring, but I am not sure where to start. What the heck do those acronyms mean and how can I speak the language at a BDSM club if I don’t know. I am also a bit leery of learning from dabblers or allowing myself to be in a “scene” with inexperienced players. This book answered questions for me and allowed me to learn from experts.
Tristan Taormino is the editor and a contributing author of this comprehensive guide. The guide includes an Introduction by Tristan and a Resource Guide. The guide is full of illustrations by Katie Diamond. The book is broken down into two sections: Skills and Techniques, and Fantasies and Philosophies. The skills topics are contributed by experts in that specific variety of kink.
- Terms, Priniciples and Pleasures of Kink by Tristan Taormino
- Making an Impact by Lolita Wolf
- How to Train Your Sex Slave by Laura Antoniou
- Whole Hand Sex by Sarah Sloane
- Bondage for Sex by Midori
- A Little Cock and Ball Play by Hardy Haberman
- Kinky Twisted Tantra by Barbara Carrellas
- Piercing Senses by FifthAngel
- Brutal Affection by Felica Shays
- Butthole Bliss by Patrick Califia
The topic list is pretty extensive and these writers go into detail. Details in this section include techniques, tips, and key points. The book is littered with illustrations, quotes, and how-to. The book speaks on a level I can relate to and covers things I never would have thought of, as a newbie.
The Fantasies and Philosophies section approached each kink topic a bit more in depth. In this section I found the chapters easy to read even if that kind of kink didn’t really appeal to me. The book doesn’t glaze over anything or try to make it appealing to everyone. I enjoyed the way the authors introduced the topics. Obviously, these are folks that don’t dabble in their kink. This part of the book explains things rarely talked about. The topics include:
- Erotic Role Play by Mollena Williams
- Erotic Human Animal Role Playing by Lee Harrington
- The Art and Philosophy of Feminine Dominance by Midori
- Submissive: A Personal Manifesto by Madison Young
- Enhancing Masochism by Patrick Califia
- Inside the Mind of a Sadist by FifthAngel
- Age Role Play by Ignacio Rivera (aka Papi Coxxx)
- Taboo Role Play by Mollena Williams
- The Dark Side by Jack Rinella
- Mindfuck by Edge
What is so great about this part of the book, is that it gave me an inside peek at what exactly these kinks might entail. This portion of the book included personal accounts and a non-apologetic look at all different kinds of kink. The authors share their thoughts and give examples of their kind of kink. This book was a great journey for me into self discovery. I found myself identifying with some of the writers and wishing I could relate to others. Some of the authors invite you to join them. Some parts of it made me uncomfortable and other parts made me hot.
Just get the book, find things you like, share it with your lover, tell them what sounds do-able. This book is meant to open your eyes and expose you to kink. This book is published by Cleis Press and can be purchased for $19.95.
I have included a link to all the authors, because they some of them made me curious. (Oh and just in case you are wondering, Edge doesn’t need a f’n website or internet presence. His chapter needed to go last, since the impression it leaves is so bold. Thank you Edge.)
I received this product from Cleis Press free of charge in exchange for an honest review. This review is in compliance with the FTC guidelines.